How to Get the Engine Cooling Fan working Again
To start with on my FTO I need to return the wiring back to its original state as w switch was wired to allow it to pass the last MOT. Obviously this is not the ideal setup so this article is about fixing this problem correctly.
To be able to correct the problem we need to know what possible things could be at fault. We know that the fan starts when the engine reaches a desired temperature so the ECU could be getting a false reading meaning the fan will never be fired up so we need to check all the components from the thermostat to the ECU and from the ECU to the FAN.
What could be wrong?
- The Fan has failed and won't work even if directly powered.
- The thermostat has failed so the ECU will not switch on the fan.
- The Wiring Harness connectors are failing to connect properly.
- The Wiring has a break(s) or a Short(s).
- The Fuse has blown.
- The ECU has been damaged.
Has the fuse blown? if so we most likely have another problem and it needs fixing.